Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Lessons in Parenting (as taught by the little miss)

You know how some days you feel like you have this parenting this down... and then other days you feel like you don't have a clue?! Well, Friday was a perfect example of the latter... and Ashley was quick to teach me a few things that she thought I might have forgotten over the past year.
It all started out well enough... We had our Friday morning play group at 10:30 and Ashley's one year checkup at the doctors at 1:00. She woke up at 7 (normal), went down for a nap at 8:30 (normal) and all should work out just right... I thought I would make really good use of her nap time by running on the treadmill and taking a quick shower (I patted myself on the back for that!).
Well, 20 min. into my run I notice the monitor lights are flashing... huh?? She's only been asleep for 45 min?! I'm sweating profusely... uh... what's next? Well, my dear sweet girl had just taught me my first lesson of the day... and it continued from there. Let me share with you my knowledge...
Rule #1- NEVER ever ever plan what you are going to do around their "normal" schedule. Because that will be the precise day that they are not "normal". (the good thing is that they can hang out in their crib for 15 min. or so while you take a shower)

We finally got out the door and headed across town for our playgroup at 10:45. By the time we got there at 11:15 we found out that it had essentially been canceled... lovely. Since we were already on the other side of town, I made a command decision to go to the mall for lunch so we could make it to the doctor on time. And here is where our next lesson began...

Rule #2- NEVER ever ever feed a child more than they are willing to eat.
After being worried that she didn't eat much at breakfast, I was trying to get little miss to eat "just a little more" at lunch... BIG mistake. At precisely 12:29 (we had to leave by 12:30-ish to get to the doc. on time). She threw up ALL over herself!!!! Nice....

So after stripping her down (there was no hope for the dress at that point), I realized I now had a nekid child sitting in her stroller in the middle of the food court. And, cue the music... the next lesson...

Rule #3- ALWAYS have a change of clothes in the bag.

I did not.
However, $30 and a nekid ride through the mall across to Pottery Barn Kids later, she had a lovely outfit on. A little over dressed for the doctor's office maybe, but the child was clothed...

We left the mall at about 12:50 and somehow, by the grace of God alone, we made it to the doctors office at exactly 1:00. Miracles will never cease.
Fortunately, Ashley decided I had learned enough for the day and had a wonderful doctor's visit and came home to sleep for 2.5 hours. (and Mama took a nice little nap too!).
So I guess she did teach me one final lesson...

Rule #4- It WILL all be Ok in the end. :)

As for her checkup, she is doing fabulously! She weighed in at a little over 22 lbs. (75%) and is about 31.5" long (99%+). She's still a string bean! Dr. Nail said that she is developmentally ahead of the game and a smart cookie! (we all knew that already) Funny thing, the doctor, nurse and assistant all commented on how strong and willfull she is!! Haha, like I didn't know?! Why do they think I often say I am wrangling an octopus! Silly girl- I love her so much. And I am so thankful that she is growing up big and strong.
Looking back on the day, I am even thankful that she can give me those lovely memories to hang onto! Rest assured, though, I have learned my lessons!!

No comments: